Cascade Funding, also known as Financial Support for Third Parties (FSTP), is a European Commission mechanism to distribute public funding in order to assist beneficiaries, such as start-ups, scale-ups, SME and/or mid-caps, in the uptake or development of digital innovation.
Third parties receiving cascade funding under Horizon 2020 have a contract with the consortium of the EU-funded project of which they become a third party. This means that this consortium is liable towards the European Commission for the third parties to which it provide financial support and, hence, no legal and financial validation is necessary for these third parties, which makes quicker/easier for projects to have open calls in their projects.
These open calls from EU-funded projects are:
- selecting tech start-ups or scale-ups for acceleration or incubation purposes (usually equity free),
- supporting pilots, demonstrations and/or experiments on a specific innovative technology or framework (usually with the participation of start-ups or SME), or
- integrating more participants to the project to extend its scope or to address specific tasks.
Support offered by these open calls, usually consist in funding (typically in the range of €50,000 to €150,000) but it may also be vouchers for support services or free access and support to use testing facilities.
Most of the open calls issued during this Horizon 2020 belong to one (or more) of the following domains: Future Internet and Next Generation Internet, Smartisation, Industry 4.0 (ICT for Industry), Internet of Things (IoT), Robotics, Big Data, Photonics, Innovation throughout value chains, and the nexus between creativity and technology.
Open calls in the field of smartization and industry are linked to the creation of a pan-european network of Digital Innovation Hubs under the European Union initiatives Smart Anything Everywhere (SAE) and ICT Innovation for Manufacturing SMEs (I4MS), which are both part of the Digitising European Industry strategy.
Cascade funding is increasingly used throughout the "Information and Communication Technologies" priority in Horizon 2020 and contributes "to knowledge transfer and exploitation, take-up of technologies, and building and scaling ecosystems in these areas".
Open calls in Energy:
- C-VoUCHER 1st call for adopters
Deadline: 31 October 2019, 17:00 CET (Brussels time)
- TETRAMAX 3rd open call for Value Chain Oriented and Interdisciplinary Technology Transfer Experiments (TTX)
Deadline: 30 November 2019, 23:59 (CET)
- Second Open Call for ESMERA Experiments (ESMERA-SOCE)
Deadline: 2 December 2019
- RIMA 1st Open Call
Deadline: 19 December 2019, at 16:00 (CET-Brussels time)
- PARSEC Open Call #1 – Vision for innovation in emerging Food, Energy and Environment sectors
Deadline: 20 December 2019
- VIDA Innovation Support Voucher
Deadline: 3 January 2020
- VIDA Demonstration Voucher
Deadline: 31 October 2019
Deadline: 29 April 2020
For searching financial opportunities please visit FundingBox what is a community with over 15.000 subscribers where makers, entrepreneurs and innovators meet, interact and collaborate to build growth connections and win equity free funding to catalyze their growth